The Academy of Certified Brain
Injury Specialists (ACBIS) offers a voluntary
national certification program for both direct care staff and professionals working in
brain injury services. ACBIS provides the opportunity to learn important
information about brain injury, to demonstrate
learning in a written examination, and to
earn a nationally recognized credential.
offers three certification options representing
distinct levels of experience and supervisory
skills: Certified Brain Injury Specialist (CBIS), Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainer* (CBIST) and Provisional Certified Brain Injury Specialist (PCBIS). Certification
is based on a comprehensive training manual that
covers the following topics:
and epidemiology of brain injury
- Brain anatomy
and brain-behavior relationships
impact of brain injury
- Children and
adolescents with brain injury
- Health and
- Family issues
- Legal and
is not restricted to any one profession or discipline.
Rather, it is intended for anyone who delivers
services specific to brain injury. Please read Certification Disclaimer.
known as Clinical Examiner and, most recently,
- Display your achievement as a Certified Brain Injury Specialist or Trainer with the new ACBIS pin. These are now available for purchase in the BIAA bookstore! Order Here!
On recommendation of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists, certification application and renewal fees increased on March 15, 2013 in the first rate increase since mid‐2007.
The new fees are as follows:
1‐4 applicants - $300 per person (unchanged)
5‐29 applicants - $225 per person
Over 30 applicants - $200 per person
Annual Renewal Fee per Certificant - $60
The Board of Governors and the BIAA staff serving ACBIS continue to pursue process improvement and program enhancement. We have enacted three changes to the group fee structure to ease paperwork burdens. The following policies will be enacted starting September 1, 2012.
- Two week time limitation for application fee adjustment. Applicants who are part of a group (and are responsible for making their own payment) but mistakenly submit the individual application rate of $300 have two (2) weeks to notify the ACBIS office of the mistake and request a refund. Requests for refunds after two weeks will not be granted.
- Retroactive group fee adjustment. The retroactive cumulative group application fee adjustment has been discontinued. A group’s size and fee structure is determined at its inception with each Group Registration Form that is submitted.
- Group application substitution fee. Substituting a new applicant for another who has discontinued the application process will incur a $35 fee. Please contact the ACBIS office to request the substitution.
- As a reminder, in order to ensure the fastest processing of renewal applications, if you are making a renewal payment on another certificant’s behalf, please be sure to list that person’s name in the “Special Instructions” field during checkout in the BIAA bookstore.
- The paper application processes have been entirely replaced by online forms. For further information please click the appropriate category:
INDIVIDUAL CBIS APPLICATION PROCESS
INDIVIDUAL CBIST APPLICATION PROCESS
- The ACBIS Board of Governors has updated its Code of Ethics. The detailed version is available here and the brief version is available here.
- The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation announcement can be found here.
Upcoming Strauss, Rosenthal and
Please visit the "Upcoming Webinars" section of the BIAA bookstore for information on upcoming lectures.
More information can be found here.
New Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainers and formerly certified Clinical Examiners and Clinical Instructors are required to attend ONE "Train the Trainer" webinar.
2013 dates for the CBIST Webinar will be January 16, April 17, July 17 and October 16. If you are already a CBIST and would like to attend one of these as a refresher to the materials, please register by emailing Jessica Kerney at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are applying for CBIST status, you will be personally contacted to confirm attendance upon your approval.
applications (including payment) will be maintained for up to
one year. After one year, the application
will become null and void and the applicant
will need to reapply. Applicants who have
submitted completed applications but have
not taken the certification exam within
one year will need to reapply after one
- Please update your contact information by
visiting THIS section of the website. It is very important that your email address is current so
that you can receive regular updates and
A complete current listing of ACBIS Certificants
as of February 8, 2013 can be found HERE.
Questions regarding the ACBIS Program?
Contact Jessica Kerney at email@example.com.
703-761-0750 x631 – Phone
703-761-0755 – Fax
Brain Injury Association of America/ACBIS
1608 Spring Hill Road
Vienna, VA 22182
is a Standing Committee of the
Board of Directors
of the Brain Injury Association of America.
This page was last updated on May 7, 2013.
Brant A. (Bud) Elkind MS, CBIST
Robin Hill Farm
Vice-Chairperson of Governance
Thomas Hall MA, CBIST
Riverside Community Care
Vice-Chairperson of Information Management
Heidi Reyst PhD, CBIST
Rainbow Rehabilitation Centers
Past Board Chair
Jim Misko Psy. D., CBIST
CORE Health Care
Dripping Springs, TX
Sharlene Adams CBIST, LSX
Goodwill Industries of NNE
Susan Bartlett LCSW, CRC
Cynthia Boyer PhD
Cherry Hill, NJ
Rita Cola Carroll PhD, CPCRT, CBIST
Main Line Rehabilitation Associates
Caroline Feller MS, CBIST
LakeView Specialty Hospital and Rehab Center
Mary Ferraro PhD, OTR/L
Paul Folkert MBA
Rehab Without Walls, Inc.
Angie Jackson MS-CCC/SLP, MBA, CBIST
Stephanie A. Kolakowsky-Hayner PhD, CBIST
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
San Jose, CA
Todd J. Levy MS OTR/L, CBIST
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Arthur C. Maerlender PhD
Dartmouth‐Hitchcock Medical Center
Mary Pat Murphy MSN, CRRN, CBIST
Cindy Roth Pahr M.Ed., CBIS
San Diego, CA
Lucille Raia RN, MS, ARNP, GNP, NEA-BC, CBIST
James A. Haley VA Med Center
Eric T. Spier MD
El Paso, TX
More information on the
ACBIS Board of Governors
can be found here.
Acquired Brain Injury - Ireland
Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital
Centre for Neuro Skills
CA and TX
Goodwill Industries of Northern New England
(Brain Injury Services)
Sioux City, IA
Robin Hill Farm
Special Tree Rehabilitation System
West Virginia Traumatic Brain
Injury Services at the
Center for Excellence in Disabilities
More information on the
ACBIS Alliance Program
can be found here.